Friday, June 24, 2011

Personal: Perfectionism?

Less of a sharing-content post and more of a ask-the-audience post.

While on the train today, I was conversing with a friend and I was asked a rather strange question:

"Why are you so perfect?"


I asked for clarification, because I don't think I'm perfect at all.

I make mistakes. I'm not particularly skilled at anything. I haven't done anything memorable- I'm not in any history books, and I'm likely not going to be.

I want to change that. I'm a catalyst for change in other people- I help other folks improve, I think.

Apparently I'm a condescending jerk on occasion, because I try to always improve myself and criticize others when they suggest doing something that I find to be unwise or a potential issue.

I'm not really sure how to change, though. I've been thinking about things like a vow of silence or only making positive statements or never criticizing anything, but they're all strawmen or likely to get shot down.

TL;DR: How can I change how other folks perceive me so that I appear to be less of a perfectionist and more of a personable, normal individual?

4 comments:

  1. On the contrary.
    As an enthusiastic follower, I can assure you that what I read on this blog is very close to perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate getting this question! It's always so awkward telling people how I become a billionaire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL @ Shelby

    No man, what it is is this...and heed my words.

    Class is one of the rarest personal commodities in our society right now. 50 years ago, you would have been wearing a dapper suit and designer hat wherever you went, and actually melded in...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous23/8/11 20:02

    I find it interesting that you see your imperfections and want to be closer to perfect by becoming less of a perfectionist...

    I personally think that perfectionism is admirable, but can often come across as condescending if packaged incorrectly. One must be very careful in their wording so as not to give off a sense of arrogance. Defer to others, offer them a way out, maintain a civil tone, support your points, give alternatives.

    Unwarranted advice can often come off as arrogant or condescending. Only give help when it is asked for; that way you can avoid implying that someone is incompetent or incapable (especially if they have a rather fragile ego).

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive