Sunday, October 9, 2011

On being a developer:

I know very little about programming complex things- how to go about coding something like Minecraft, for instance- where would I even start?

I am good at scripting, though, given that I know commands.

It always amazes me how other folks seem to grasp these complex constructs with ease- Everyone tells me that I could, too, if I spent the time to learn, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Simpler things come easily, though- blatantly re-using (read: plagiarizing) code that works and hobbling it together (into some sort of frankencode construct) is what I'm good at. Kinda unethical, I'll admit, but I don't sell or otherwise profit off of these things.

Something about reverse-engineering can be relevant here, too. Reading through code that accomplishes something similar (or a part of what you want to do) grants insight into how what you want to do might work. It also presents the tempting opportunity to copy-and-paste, which is a bad habit of mine that I'm working to break.

More to come on all this later.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9/10/11 12:14

    I know some coding, but I find it to be terribly boring. Just staring at code and making it not only work but be readable and neat.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive